Back    Go to next page

P-51 Mustang Build - Page 2

 

Next I decided to turn my attention to the tailplane. To start with I hinged the tailplane/elevator using the supplied Robart pin hinges. You will need to shape some edges of the tailplane moulding to accept the curved leading edge of the elevator as shown in the pictures below:

 

 

 

Something you can easily overlook is which way up the tailplane halves go. The upper surface of the tailplane half should be the surface that has the raised rectangular panel detailing as in the picture below:

 

 

As in the photos below, you will need to remove some material from the tailplane root/fuselage to allow for the slightly longer length of the elevators.

 

   

 

As I need to have removable stabs I worked on this next. I chose to use the same method used on most of my other aircraft with removable stabs. This simply entails fitting the stabs in place, drilling a hole through the stab and into the metal tube, tapping the hole and using a bolt to hold the stabs in place. If you use your finger you can locate a rib in the stabs approximately 10-11cm from the root. Drill through this area as it allows you to tighten a bolt up without squashing the stab. I used an M4 tap and bolt to hold the stabs in place. I used a 4mm allen bolt with countersunk head so as to allow the bolt to sit flush with the stab surface. With the stabs firmly in place it highlighted the need to build up the roots so that the stab/fuselage gap is removed. This will be done at a later stage of the build.

 

   

 

Got my cockpit instruments through the post today so wound up making a cockpit instrument panel. Spent a while coming up with the correct shape dashboard so to save you the hassle I will post a template soon! Made the dash from 2mm styrene, drew out the instrument layout, drilled the holes, sprayed matt black, installed instruments and weathered the dash/added the decals etc Looks pretty good for an evenings work I think.

 

         

 

As I plan to have an operational radiator vent linked to the throttle position I had to cut the air exit hole out. A fairly simple procedure following the same technique used in cutting all the other openings in the fuselage. The picture on the right shows the radiator vent piece temporarily in place...

 

   

 

Received my retracts from WABO in Germany today. They look VERY nice - and strong!!! Also got a couple of inner gear door cylinders and a cockpit opening cylinder....

 

       

 

 

Having got the retracts I felt compelled to fit them! First of all though I fitted the gear doors which proved to be a lot trickier than it first looked! The hinge pin on the inner door simply cannot be fitted without drilling a hole in the front of the wing. Also, due to the curve of the wing it is not possible to use one long 'hinge pin'. Instead, I used a short length of tube as the rear hinge pin and passed another length of tube through the hole made in the front of the wing through and into the gear door hinge tube. See the pictures below...

 

 

 

I also needed to sand the wing slightly along the inner gear door hinge line to enable the door to open and close smoothly and without catching. Next, I lined the wheel well edges with 1/16" ply so that it created a lip for the doors to close onto. Without these the doors will just continue on and into the wheel well. These ply strips were cut and cyano'd into place. An extra strip was added to the base of the outer gear door so as to act as a seal when both gear doors are closed. See the pictures below...

 

     

 

The outer gear door hinge pin is quite fiddly too! You need to drill through the rear hinge tube from front to back so as to be able to push the pin from the leading edge side so that it goes through the tube and sticks out the rear. Then, place the outer gear door in place and push the hinge pin back towards the front, through the outer gear door hinge tube and into the front hinge tube. The result is as per the pictures below

 

     

 

Fitting the retracts proved troublesome too! The depth of the retract units nearest the leading edge was too great to allow the units to sit on the mounting rails and ends of the units did not allow the outer gear door to pivot on its hinge pin correctly. I took the units to a friend who has a milling machine and made the necessary amendments to the retract units. Once complete, it transpired that the former in the wing still needed grinding away so as to allow the air cylinder to sit low enough in the wing. The series of pictures below show the mods made....

 

         

 

Go to next page