Throttle Servo : I wanted a nice direct throttle linkage and the plywood former lent itself perfectly to a throttle servo mount. I was a little concerned about the vibration levels here so I mounted the servo on a ply plate and screwed this ply plate on the the former with some heavy duty foam in between to absorb a lot of the vibration.

 

 

 

 

Ignition System : A 2100mAh ThunderPower Lipo battery and a PowerBox Systems voltage regulator was secured to the front of the fuselage and wired into an ElectroDynamics FiberOptic Ignition Kill Switch (secured to fuselage side by canopy) using a Heavy Duty JR on/off switch for the system. All leads are carefully secured away from the cannister exhaust.

 

         

 

 

Choke Setup : Rather than install another servo for the choke I made up a short pushrod that can be used to actuate the choke. It finished just level with the front of the cowl opening when choked and sits neatly inside the cowl when set for normal running. A tie wrap stops it flapping about. Works perfectly and weighs a few grams!

 

 

 

Header / Pipe Setup : Although a tight squeeze, the header and pipe will fit. It does require a fairly forced bend in the teflon connector but is achievable. If you really want to, you could heat the joint in the header pipe and rotate the final section of the header to a more suitable angle. Be careful not to overheat this joint though otherwise you may create small gaps that will leak. I always do away with the 'spring clamps' supplied as they do not have the force required to securely hold the coupler in place. Replacing them with jubilee clips is worthwhile in my opinion.

 

     

 

 

Receiver Batteries : I used two ThunderPower 2100mAh lipos running through a PowerBox-Systems Sensor Switch. To balance the model at the rear of the recommended CofG range I mounted them behind the rudder servo tray. This did, however, involve the hassle of having to lengthen the battery leads. The batteries were held in place on the 'battery tray' using velcro. This stopped any fore/aft movement but to be safe they were tiewrapped down to stop any up/down movement! The velcro was UHU'd onto the lipo back and cyanoed to the balsa tray.

 

             

 

 

Receiver Mounting : The synthesised receiver was mounted to the vertical plate as per the instructions. The cables have been tidied since this shot! The receiver aerial was guided along the canopy edge and up out of the fuselage behind the top of the canopy opening.

 

   

 

All Up Weight: The AUW of my 2x2m was 14lb 11oz

 

 

 

The detailed run down of all the items I used for my 2x2m is as follows:

 

Model

 

Composite-ARF 2x2m Extra

 

 

Powerplant / Ignition

 

DA-50R Engine

MTW Cannister and Header (from Composite-ARF)

3.5" Meljzlik Spinner

23x8 Mejzlik Prop

ThunderPower 2s1p 2100mAh Lipo ignition battery

PowerBox-Systems Voltage Regulator for above

Heavy Duty JR Switch for Ignition On/Off

ElectroDynamics FiberOptic Ignition Kill Switch

Dubro 24oz tank

Tygon Fuel Tube

Hangar 9 Fuel Dot

 

Radio

 

2 x JR8411 servo on ailerons

2 x JR8411 servo on elevators

1 x JR8411 servo on rudder

1 x JR591 servo on throttle

Futaba R139 Synthesized Rx

PowerBox-Systems Sensor Switch

2 x ThunderPower 2s1p 2100mAh Lipo Rx batteries

2 x 100cm Extension Leads for Elevators

1 x 30cm Extension Lead for Throttle

2 x 30cm Extension Leads for Ailerons

 

 

Other

 

Dubro 4" Low Bounce Wheels

4 x SWB 1.5" Double-Loc Metal Servo Arms for ailerons and elevators

1 x SWB 3" Double-Loc Metal Servo Arm for rudder

Graupner Tailwheel #6100.2

Tie Wraps and Metal Clips from www.HenrysHangar.com

 

Decals

 

From Derek at www.rcaerobatics.co.uk

 

       

 

CLICK HERE FOR INFO ON INSTALLATION OF NEW MTW CANNISTER SETUP